- Libyan authorities deported 174 Bangladeshi migrants from Benghazi to Dhaka on August 18, 2026.
- The group was assisted by the IOM and the Bangladesh Embassy following detention at the Ganfuda center.
- Returnees reported suffering trafficking, abduction, and torture while attempting irregular sea routes to Europe.
Libyan authorities deported 174 Bangladeshi migrants from Benghazi to Dhaka on August 18, 2026, sending them home through Benina International Airport after their detention in Libya.
The returnees arrived at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport at 6:00 am on a special Buraq Air flight, UZ-222, the Bangladesh Embassy in Libya said. The group included three women, one child and 15 people suffering from various illnesses.
Free toolUSCIS Receipt Number Decoder
The operation involved the Libyan Anti-Illegal Migration Agency, Bangladeshi officials and the International Organization for Migration. The migrants had been held at the Ganfuda, also known as Qanfoodah, Detention Centre.
Most had tried to reach Europe through irregular sea routes. Libyan authorities intercepted or detained them before they could continue their journeys.
Major General Salah Al-Khafaifi, head of the agency’s Greater Benghazi branch, described the removal as part of a “plan to address irregular migration and enhance security and stability, in coordination with relevant local and international bodies and in accordance with existing laws.”
The returnees received food, medical care and temporary housing
The IOM provided each returnee with travel expenses, food supplies, primary medical treatment and temporary accommodation after arrival in Dhaka. The support addressed immediate needs following the flight.
The embassy said officials had been “regularly coordinating with the Libyan authorities and the IOM to ensure the safe and humanitarian repatriation of Bangladeshi nationals detained in the country.”
The return process brought together authorities with different responsibilities. Libyan officials handled the detention and deportation, Bangladeshi representatives coordinated the nationals’ return, and the IOM supplied assistance during and after repatriation.
| Detail | Information |
|---|---|
| People returned | 174 |
| Women | 3 |
| Child | 1 |
| People with illnesses | 15 |
| Detention center | Ganfuda, or Qanfoodah, Detention Centre |
| Arrival airport | Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport, Dhaka |
| Flight | Buraq Air UZ-222 |
| Arrival time | 6:00 am |
Returnees described trafficking, abduction and torture
Several returnees said human traffickers victimized them during their time in Libya. They also reported abduction and torture at different points.
The Bangladesh Ministry of Foreign Affairs asked the returnees to share their “harrowing experiences” publicly. Officials said the accounts could deter others from attempting irregular migration.
Their journeys reflected a wider pattern described by officials: Bangladeshi nationals trying to reach Europe by sea, followed by interception or detention in Libya. The deportation removed them from detention, but their accounts also described abuse before their return.
A separate U.S. visa measure included Bangladesh
The United States introduced a separate immigration measure involving Bangladesh earlier in 2026. On January 21, 2026, the U.S. Department of State, acting in alignment with the Department of Homeland Security, imposed an indefinite pause on immigrant visa processing for 75 countries, including Bangladesh.
A State Department spokesperson cited public-charge authority when explaining the pause:
“The State Department will use its long-standing authority to deem ineligible potential immigrants who would become a public charge on the United States and exploit the generosity of the American people. This pause will remain in effect until the US can ensure that new immigrants ‘will not extract wealth from the American people.’”
That U.S. measure did not organize the removal from Libya. The deportation involved Libyan and Bangladeshi authorities and the IOM, while the American action addressed immigrant visa processing.
A Presidential Proclamation and a DHS Final Rule also formed part of the U.S. policy framework in 2026. Those measures limited entries from countries classified as high-risk for public-charge dependency.
By August, DHS and USCIS had reinforced evidence standards through Request for Evidence and Notice of Intent to Deny policies. Officials described the approach as intended to “reduce frivolous immigration benefits requests.”
DHS data placed Bangladesh in a broader enforcement category
The DHS Office of Homeland Security Statistics reported an increase, as of August 17, 2026, in administrative returns and enforcement actions for “all other countries,” a category that included Bangladesh. The increase followed the rescission of 2022-era public-charge regulations.
That category covers more than Bangladesh. Its inclusion shows how the country appeared in a broader U.S. enforcement grouping, separate from the Libyan detention and repatriation operation.
The immediate assistance in Dhaka included medical treatment and temporary accommodation. Bangladeshi authorities also pressed the returnees to publicize the dangers they encountered before attempting another sea journey.
This article provides general information and is not legal advice. Consult a qualified immigration attorney about your specific case.