- The Trump administration is increasing the refugee cap for white South Africans to 17,500 for 2026.
- Officials designated an emergency refugee situation due to alleged race-based discrimination and threats to farming communities.
- The expansion requires $100 million in funding to accommodate 10,000 additional Afrikaner applicants.
(SOUTH AFRICA) — The Trump administration plans to admit up to 10,000 additional white South Africans as refugees to the United States, lifting the total admissions target for mainly Afrikaner applicants to 17,500 for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2026.
The State Department notified Congress on Monday, May 18, 2026, that it would raise the Afrikaner refugee target from 7,500 to 17,500. In that notice, the department said “unforeseen developments in South Africa created an emergency refugee situation.”
Officials estimated the added resettlement cost for the extra 10,000 refugees at about $100 million. The increase marks a further expansion of a refugee program that the administration has tied directly to white South Africans, especially Afrikaners.
President Donald Trump set the policy direction in a February 7, 2025 executive order titled “Addressing Egregious Actions of the Republic of South Africa.” The order directed officials to prioritize resettlement of Afrikaners and cut off U.S. aid to South Africa.
The administration has argued that Afrikaners face “government-sponsored race-based discrimination” and persecution in South Africa. It has also cited alleged threats against white farming communities as part of its rationale for treating the group as an emergency refugee situation.
South Africa’s government has rejected that case. It has called the U.S. claims baseless.
The first group admitted under the program arrived on May 12, 2025, when 59 white South Africans landed at Dulles International Airport. A second group of 9 arrived in early June 2025.
Before the latest move, the administration had indicated a ceiling of 7,500 admissions for this category. The new figure of 17,500 sharply increases that cap before the fiscal year closes on September 30, 2026.
The decision gives the Trump administration a larger slot allocation for Afrikaner admissions inside the refugee system and formalizes a policy that had already produced arrivals in 2025. It also commits federal funds to a larger resettlement effort, with the State Department placing the added price tag at about $100 million.
That cost estimate came with the congressional notification announcing the increase. The department did not frame the expansion as a routine adjustment, instead invoking what it described as an “emergency refugee situation” tied to events in South Africa.
The wording matters inside the administration’s case for urgency. By pointing to “unforeseen developments in South Africa,” officials cast the increase as a response to conditions they said required faster or broader admissions than the earlier 7,500 target allowed.
Trump’s February 7, 2025 order remains the legal and political backbone of the policy. Its title, “Addressing Egregious Actions of the Republic of South Africa,” set the administration’s view of the South African government and paired refugee admissions with a cutoff of U.S. aid.
The Afrikaner focus has made the program unusually specific. Rather than announcing a broader regional refugee increase, the administration raised admissions for one named white South African group and described that move as a response to alleged discrimination and threats.
South Africa’s rejection of the allegations leaves the two governments on directly opposing lines. Washington says Afrikaners face persecution and race-based discrimination; Pretoria says those claims are baseless.
Congress received the updated target late in the fiscal year cycle, with a little more than four months remaining before September 30, 2026. That gives agencies and resettlement partners a larger admissions number to work toward if the administration fills the added 10,000 places.
The numerical shift is straightforward. A program once set at 7,500 now stands at 17,500, and the administration has linked that jump to an emergency refugee situation involving Afrikaners in South Africa.
The arrivals already recorded offer the clearest public measure of the program’s start. A first group of 59 reached Dulles on May 12, 2025, followed by 9 more in early June 2025.
Those figures are small beside the new ceiling, which leaves a much larger number of potential admissions available before the fiscal year ends. The expansion also places the refugee program inside a broader dispute between the Trump administration and South Africa over race, treatment of white farming communities, and the U.S. decision to elevate Afrikaners as a protected category for resettlement.
With the target now more than doubled, the policy stands as one of the administration’s clearest immigration moves tied to South Africa specifically. It couples a refugee increase for Afrikaners with the administration’s claim of an emergency refugee situation, while South Africa continues to answer that the allegations behind it are baseless.