Iran Players Seek U.S. Visas in Turkey as State Department Reviews 2026 World Cup Entry

Iran’s football team applies for 2026 World Cup visas in Turkey amid strict security vetting and U.S. bond waivers for athletes ahead of June matches.

Iran Players Seek U.S. Visas in Turkey as State Department Reviews 2026 World Cup Entry
Key Takeaways
  • Iran’s national football team applied for North American visas in Ankara, Turkey, for the 2026 World Cup.
  • The U.S. government will waive visa bond requirements for qualifying athletes and staff from the delegation.
  • Security vetting remains strict for individuals with suspected IRGC ties during the consular screening process.

(ANKARA, TURKEY) — Iran’s national football team began visa applications on Thursday in Ankara for entry into the United States and Canada ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup, sending players and staff from a training camp in Antalya to diplomatic offices in the Turkish capital.

Team Melli attended appointments at the U.S. Embassy in the morning and a Canadian visa application center later that afternoon on May 21, 2026. The trip reflected a practical constraint as much as a political one: neither the United States nor Canada maintains diplomatic missions in Iran.

Iran Players Seek U.S. Visas in Turkey as State Department Reviews 2026 World Cup Entry
Iran Players Seek U.S. Visas in Turkey as State Department Reviews 2026 World Cup Entry

The process comes weeks before Iran opens Group G play in the tournament, which runs from June 11 to July 19, 2026. Iran is scheduled to play all three group matches in the United States, beginning on June 15 against New Zealand in Los Angeles.

Washington has said it will ease one part of the entry process while keeping security checks in place. Mora Namdar, Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs at the U.S. Department of State, said on May 14, 2026: “We remain committed to strengthening U.S. national security priorities while facilitating legitimate travel for the upcoming World Cup tournament. The Administration will waive the visa bond requirement for certain individuals traveling to the United States for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.”

The waiver applies to athletes, coaches, support staff and immediate relatives of competing teams. That bond requirement typically ranges from $5,000 to $15,000 for citizens of countries with high overstay rates.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio drew a distinction last month between athletes and some members of a delegation. During a White House briefing on April 24, 2026, Rubio said: “There’s nothing from the U.S. that has told them they can’t come. The problem with Iran would not be their athletes, [but] some accompanying individuals. if they are suspected of IRGC ties, the U.S. may not be able to let them in.”

That language aligns with the broader policy now being applied to Iran’s World Cup delegation. Iran remains under a wider travel ban, but U.S. authorities have lifted those restrictions for “qualifying team members and personnel” tied to tournament participation.

Security vetting remains strict. All applicants face screening for ties to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which the United States and Canada designate as a terrorist organization.

The screening has direct consequences for some Iran players and staff. The squad includes 22 domestic-based players and coaching staff who must undergo security interviews, and high-profile figures such as captain Mehdi Taremi face added scrutiny because of mandatory military service previously served in IRGC-affiliated branches.

Those checks have repeatedly interrupted Iran’s preparations in Turkey. The team paused its Antalya camp to travel to Ankara for fingerprinting and consular interviews, then returned to training with another round of paperwork complete.

Department of Homeland Security officials urged foreign visitors to start early. A DHS spokesperson said on May 13, 2026: “International visitors who legally come to the United States for the World Cup have nothing to worry about. Foreign visitors MUST be proactive and should start working on their travel plans and documents well ahead of time to ensure a smooth travel experience.”

President Donald Trump also weighed in after discussions with FIFA President Gianni Infantino. On May 14, 2026, Trump said: “If Gianni said it, I’m OK. You know what? Let them play.”

The visa effort unfolds against a long diplomatic freeze between Washington and Tehran. The two countries have had severed relations since 1980, forcing Iranian applicants for U.S. visas to use embassies and consulates in third countries such as Türkiye.

Regional tensions have sharpened that backdrop. The World Cup follows a period of active conflict involving the United States, Israel and Iran that began on February 28, 2026; a ceasefire has been in place since April 8, 2026.

Canada presents its own logistical hurdle because it also lacks a diplomatic presence in Iran. By splitting the day between the U.S. Embassy and the Canadian visa center, Iranian applicants compressed into one trip what would otherwise require multiple cross-border journeys and added delays.

Iran’s match schedule leaves little room for slippage. Team Melli faces New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15, Belgium in Los Angeles on June 21, and Egypt in Seattle on June 26.

The pressure is not limited to visa timing. The Iranian Football Federation, known as FFIRI, has issued a “10-point ultimatum” to FIFA seeking guarantees that Iran’s flag and anthem will be respected and that players will not face political questioning by immigration authorities.

That demand points to a wider concern inside the delegation: the line between border screening and political scrutiny. U.S. officials have publicly framed the process as a national security review, not a bar on participation by athletes as such.

Each stop in Ankara also carries practical burdens for applicants traveling from Iran through Turkey. They must leave camp, cross into another country, appear for appointments, complete fingerprinting and interviews, and then wait for the next stage while tournament preparations continue.

Iran’s case has become one of the most closely watched visa tests before the 2026 FIFA World Cup because it sits at the intersection of sport, sanctions policy and post-conflict diplomacy. With group matches set in U.S. cities and the tournament opening less than a month away, every appointment in Ankara now carries weight beyond the consular window.

Travelers and federations seeking official guidance can check the U.S. Department of State, the Department of Homeland Security newsroom, and the U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Türkiye, where the rules that now govern Iran players and other delegations are being applied in real time.

CA flag
Canada
Americas · Ottawa · Passport Rank #39
● Level 1 — Exercise Normal Precautions
What do you think? 0 reactions
Useful? 0%
Jim Grey

Jim Grey serves as the Senior Editor at VisaVerge.com, where his expertise in editorial strategy and content management shines. With a keen eye for detail and a profound understanding of the immigration and travel sectors, Jim plays a pivotal role in refining and enhancing the website's content. His guidance ensures that each piece is informative, engaging, and aligns with the highest journalistic standards.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments