- U.S. authorities have restored the power to deny incomplete H-1B filings immediately without requesting further evidence.
- A proposed DHS rule aims to eliminate the sixty-day grace period for laid-off foreign tech workers.
- New fees and weighted selection systems are increasing costs for employers hiring high-skilled foreign labor.
U.S. immigration authorities have tightened H-1B filings, threatened the 60-day layoff buffer and expanded employer costs, while reported migration figures show more technology talent returning to India and China. The changes have made the U.S. a less predictable destination for workers and companies.
On August 5, 2026, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services issued Policy Alert PA-2026-05, restoring officers’ authority to deny petitions immediately when filings are incomplete or fail to establish eligibility at submission. The agency said the change reinforces existing Department of Homeland Security authority.
Free toolH-1B Cost Calculator Online
“This policy better aligns USCIS procedures with long-standing Department of Homeland Security regulatory authority. and makes it more difficult for aliens to file frivolous benefit requests.”
USCIS issued that statement through its newsroom. The alert removes a procedural opportunity to correct some filing problems after submission.
DHS followed on August 6 by sending proposed rule RIN 1615-AD22, titled “Eliminating the Discretionary 60-day Grace Period,” to the Office of Management and Budget. If finalized, the proposal would require an H-1B worker dismissed from a job to leave the U.S. immediately instead of using 60 days to seek another sponsor.
The moves form the core of an H-1B crackdown that employers and workers are confronting alongside higher fees, wage-weighted selection and lengthy employment-based green card backlogs.
Filing errors could become immediate denials
The agency’s new position changes how employers must prepare petitions. A filing that previously might have led to a request for additional evidence could instead face an immediate denial if it does not establish eligibility when filed.
That risk falls first on sponsoring employers, which must assemble complete evidence and demonstrate that the offered role qualifies. Workers, meanwhile, face the consequences when a petition fails or a job ends before another sponsor is found.
USCIS also announced on December 23, 2025, that it would replace the random H-1B lottery with selection weighted toward higher-paid workers. Matthew Tragesser, a USCIS spokesman, said the change would favor employers seeking more highly paid and highly skilled foreign workers.
“The new weighted selection will better serve Congress' intent for the H-1B program and strengthen America's competitiveness by incentivizing American employers to petition for higher-paid, higher-skilled foreign workers.”
The policy places additional pressure on companies seeking to hire workers at lower wage levels. It also makes compensation a larger part of the route into the program.
New charges reach extensions, while a $100,000 fight continues
A DHS final rule taking effect September 9, 2026, expands the $4,000 fee for H-1B petitions to certain extensions of status. The charge also applies to initial filings and covers employers with 50 or more employees when 50% of their workforce holds H-1B or L-1 status.
The same rule sets the comparable L-1 charge at $4,500. Employers must account for the additional amounts when budgeting both new petitions and qualifying extensions.
| Immigration cost or action | Amount or date |
|---|---|
| H-1B fee under the DHS biometric rule | $4,000 |
| L-1 fee under the same rule | $4,500 |
| Expansion to qualifying H-1B extensions | September 9, 2026 |
| Payment required under the September 2025 proclamation | $100,000 |
| DHS motion to stay the court order | July 24, 2026 |
A separate dispute surrounds a September 2025 Presidential Proclamation that required a $100,000 payment for new H-1B petitions. A federal court vacated that requirement in June 2026, but DHS filed a motion to stay the order on July 24, 2026, and continues pursuing collection while the appeal proceeds.
The fee fight has added another layer of uncertainty. Employers must assess potential exposure while the litigation remains active.
Workers face tighter timelines after layoffs
The proposed grace-period rule would remove the time many H-1B workers use to transfer to a new employer after losing a job. A worker could therefore face an immediate departure requirement rather than a 60-day search for a replacement sponsor.
Change-of-employer petitions already show weaker approval results than the overall program. Aggregate H-1B approval rates for FY 2025 stood at about 91%, while change-of-employer petitions recorded an 87% approval rate amid closer review of specialty-occupation requirements.
That distinction affects workers trying to escape layoffs. The receiving employer must support the new petition, and the employee may have less time to remain in the country if the proposed rule becomes final.
India and China show different forms of return migration
Reported migration estimates point to increased departures among Indian professionals. About 15,100 Indian professionals returned home in 2025, up from 9,800 in 2024. More than 7,300 had already left by mid-2026.
Many of those workers are moving toward Global Capability Centres in India. The combination of immigration uncertainty, employer costs and green card delays has weakened the appeal of remaining in the U.S.
China’s figures measure a broader population. More than 536,000 graduates returned to China in 2025 after studying abroad, an 8.3% increase from the previous year. The figure has been cited as evidence that the American Dream is losing some of its pull.
Returning graduates are entering China’s expanding artificial intelligence sector. Indian returnees are finding opportunities in the country’s growing corporate technology centers.
Visa backlogs add pressure to the H-1B route
The August 2026 Visa Bulletin lists India’s EB-2 advanced-degree and EB-5 unreserved categories as “Unavailable” for the rest of FY 2026. Those designations affect workers pursuing permanent residence after entering temporary employment status.
China’s employment-based categories remain constrained as well. The EB-1 cutoff is July 1, 2023, while the EB-2 cutoff is September 1, 2021.
Indian nationals account for 70% of H-1B holders, while Chinese nationals account for 12%, according to the figures cited in the policy analysis. Their large presence makes changes to fees, selection and employment mobility especially consequential for both groups.
USCIS has framed the weighted system as a way to prioritize high-skilled labor and strengthen U.S. competitiveness. The agency’s filing alert, DHS’s proposed grace-period rule and the fee expansion instead give employers more compliance duties while narrowing workers’ room to recover from a denial or layoff.
The next deadlines are close. The biometric-fee expansion takes effect September 9, 2026, while the proposed elimination of the 60-day grace period remains subject to the rulemaking process and the $100,000 fee dispute remains on appeal.