Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi Warns $100,000 H-1B Fee Could Push Jobs Offshore

Congressman Krishnamoorthi warns a $100,000 H-1B fee could force jobs offshore. While currently blocked by courts, a new $4,000 extension fee begins Sept 9,...

Key Takeaways
  • Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi warns a one hundred thousand dollar fee could drive high-skilled jobs to foreign offices.
  • A federal court order currently blocks the massive surcharge implementation while legal challenges from twenty states continue.
  • A separate four thousand dollar surcharge for H-1B extensions is scheduled to take effect on September 9, 2026.

U.S. Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi warned that a $100,000 H-1B visa fee could send high-skilled jobs overseas instead of bringing talent to the United States.

The Illinois Democrat made the warning during an August 14, 2026, interview on the “Spill the Tea” series. He said companies facing the charge would look for ways to avoid paying it, including moving work to foreign offices.

Free toolH-1B Cost Calculator Online
Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi Warns 0,000 H-1B Fee Could Push Jobs Offshore
Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi Warns $100,000 H-1B Fee Could Push Jobs Offshore

“You can either onshore the talent or offshore the work. These companies are not going to just sit by and not do the work. I fear that increasingly companies here are gonna offshore the work.”

Krishnamoorthi called the charge a “tax on innovation.” He said it targets professionals who can later “incubate companies employing hundreds of thousands of people.”

The fee is not being collected while litigation continues. A federal court order currently blocks enforcement.

The charge originated in a September 19, 2025, Presidential Proclamation. It was designed as a supplemental payment for new H-1B petitions involving beneficiaries outside the United States, rather than for internal transfers or extensions.

A federal court order has stopped collection for now

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services described the legal status in a July 28, 2026, alert. The agency said a Massachusetts federal court acted on June 8, 2026, and that the First Circuit later rejected the government’s request to pause that ruling.

“On June 8, 2026, the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts issued an order that vacated agency guidance implementing the $100,000 payment requirement for certain H-1B petitions. On July 24, 2026, the First Circuit denied the government's motion [to stay the order]. DHS strongly disagrees with the First Circuit's order. but will comply with the court's order while DHS considers next steps. If this order is later lifted, DHS still plans to collect the payment.”

The legal challenge came from 20 states led by California. They argued that the payment functioned as an unlawful tax, a power reserved to Congress.

The Department of Homeland Security defended the policy after the June ruling. It said the measure addressed program integrity and effects on U.S. workers, while encouraging employers to hire Americans in high-skilled fields.

Collection could resume if the court order is lifted. The agency has said it still intends to collect the payment.

Employers face another H-1B charge in September

DHS published a separate final rule on August 10, 2026, expanding the 9-11 Response and Biometric Entry-Exit Fee. That rule takes effect September 9, 2026.

Certain employers will then face a $4,000 surcharge on all H-1B extension petitions. The requirement previously did not cover every extension category.

The two measures carry different legal and operational paths. The $100,000 payment remains blocked under the current court order, while the biometric-related surcharge has a stated effective date.

That creates a new cost for employers retaining existing H-1B workers. It also adds to the financial pressure on companies that rely on extensions rather than new overseas hires.

Indian professionals make up most H-1B recipients

Indian nationals accounted for 71% of all H-1B visas issued in fiscal year 2024, making them the largest group affected by changes to the program.

The fee’s structure has drawn concern from lawmakers and immigration specialists who describe it as a tariff on labor. They argue that employers could compare the United States with countries such as Canada or the United Kingdom when deciding where to place work.

Smaller companies and startups could struggle to pay $100,000 for a single overseas hire. Larger employers could respond differently by shifting whole departments to foreign offices.

The potential response is not limited to recruitment. A company that cannot justify the charge for one worker may move the underlying assignment instead.

Krishnamoorthi proposes a larger annual cap

Krishnamoorthi reintroduced the High-Skilled Immigration Reform for Employment Act, known as the HIRE Act, in response to the fee.

The proposal would double the annual H-1B cap from 65,000 to 130,000. It also would increase federal funding for domestic STEM education.

The existing cap figure represents the regular annual limit described in the proposal. The legislation’s approach combines more temporary high-skilled admissions with greater investment in the U.S. education pipeline.

Krishnamoorthi serves as a Democrat from Illinois and co-chair of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus’ Immigration Task Force. His argument focuses on where employers perform work, not only on where workers receive visas.

The administration has framed the fee as a way to protect U.S. workers and strengthen program integrity. Krishnamoorthi says the same policy could reduce American work by making overseas operations cheaper.

The next scheduled fee change arrives September 9, 2026, when the $4,000 surcharge rule takes effect for covered H-1B extensions. The court order continues to govern the separate $100,000 payment.

People also ask

Answers from VisaVerge guides
How does the proposed $100,000 fee on new H-1B filings affect Indian workers?

The proposed fee could push firms to offshore roles or reduce hiring due to increased costs, especially for startups and mid-size firms that rely heavily on Indian talent.

Read: Indians Lead the U.S. STEM Workforce Through H-1B and Education
What is the new $100K fee for H-1B visas starting in 2026?

The new $100,000 fee will be imposed on new H-1B filings starting in 2026, but not on renewals.

Read: Canada Sees Opportunity as Trump’s $100K Visa Fee Redirects Talent
What are the potential impacts of the $100,000 fee on H-1B visa applications?

The $100,000 supplemental fee could force employers to rethink their sponsorship decisions for international workers, potentially leading some early-stage companies to look outside the U.S. for talent.

Read: Pichai hails H-1B holders as phenomenal, stresses pathways for talent
What is the impact of the $100,000 fee on new H-1B petitions for Indian tech workers?

The $100,000 fee has altered the economics of recruiting from abroad, leading U.S. tech companies to reconsider whether to sponsor new Indian talent.

Read: Indian Americans Consider Leaving as Senate Prepares to Confirm Homeland Security Secretary
What is the main concern regarding the new $100,000 fee for H-1B visas?

The main concern is that it could accelerate a brain drain, driving scientists, engineers, and founders to countries with friendlier rules and better funding for research.

Read: The $100,000 Brain Tax: Is U.S. Innovation at Stake Now?
What do you think? 0 reactions
Useful? 0%
Priya Nair

Priya Nair is VisaVerge.com's Work Visa Correspondent, specializing in employment-based immigration — H-1B, L-1, O-1, TN, OPT, and the PERM and green-card process. She breaks down lottery odds, prevailing-wage rules, and employer obligations for the skilled professionals who navigate them every year. Priya's guides help workers and employers make confident, well-informed decisions about building a career in the United States.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments